The 5 Stages is uniquely, intentionally, and completely reliant on the Bible. How we look at people (including those who live with disabilities) says a lot about how we look at and relate to God. If He created us, and has a plan for me, then does He not also create those who have disabilities (and other differences)? We based the 5 Stages upon these Scriptural foundations:
- Disability is not a blessing, but it is also not a curse
- We are all disabled, but we are also not all disabled
- We don’t get our value from accomplishment, or from our disability, but from God
The following scripture resources are provided to help you share the 5 Stages with others in the manner in which it was intended. It is our belief and intent that the 5 Stages cannot be shared outside of its Christ-centered roots. Therefore, we not only share these resources, but we encourage you to study them and to share your reflections with us (click here to email us your thoughts on any of the following scripture passages). We may even use your reflections on our blog!
- John 9:1-3, 2 Corinthians 11:30, 2 Corinthians 12:9 – God uses a life with disabilities to display the power of Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 1:27, 12:14, 18, 22-25 – God uses the weak, the things that are not, to shame the things that are. We need one another in the body of Christ. God has given special honor to the members viewed as “lesser.” We should have the same care for one another.
- Luke 14:13-14, 21-23 – Christ calls us to invite all into his banquet, going out into the highways and byways to find the disabled and bring them in, that His house may be full.
- Psalm 139:13-14, Ephesians 2:10 – God designed each person for his express purpose in this world. We have the privilege of helping uncover it.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17, 1 Thessalonians 5:11 – God has called and equipped all His children to serve His Kingdom; there is no asterisk absolving people with disabilities from this call.
Please let us know if you have other scripture resources you’d like to share, and check out our other resources too!